Browsed by
Month: February 2017

Maid Work Insurance in Singapore| FAQ’s

Maid Work Insurance in Singapore| FAQ’s

In the interest of both; Domestic Helper in Singapore and the employer, Ministry of Manpower in Singapore has made it mandatory to buy Maid Insurance in Singapore. Hence, You need to buy medical and personal accident insurance for your helper according to the minimum (and mandatory) criteria rules set by the ministry.

Here are the frequently asked questions that are extracted from MOM official website.

  1. What is the minimum coverage that I have to purchase?

The minimum coverage of at least $15,000 per year for inpatient care and day surgery during your helper’s stay in Singapore should be purchased. You also need to ensure that your insurance covers a personal accident insurance with a minimum coverage of $40,000; compensation should be made payable to her or her beneficiaries.

  1. Can I deduct the Insurance costs from the salary I pay to the maid?

No, you cannot pass on the cost of purchasing the medical insurance to your helper in any form; either by deducting or asking her to bear.

  1. Can I buy the maid insurance any time during the stay of my maid?

No, MOM rules won’t permit you to delay buying the insurance under any circumstances nor you can impose the cost onto maid. Before your helper arrives in Singapore, you must buy medical insurance and personal accident insurance as part of your medical obligations to her.

  1. Do I need to submit the Insurance papers anywhere? If yes, whom shall I submit to?

It is essential to submit the medical insurance details to the MOM. However, your employment agency like us at Maid Work Permit in Singapore can do the submission on your behalf.

  1. How can I guarantee that the medical insurance for foreign worker or FDW meets MOM’s requirements?

MOM would consider the medical insurance plan to have met the requirement if it includes a clause specifying that the underwriter or insurance company guarantees that the benefits of the coverage will not be worse than MOM’s requirement. Check out our exclusive Maid Insurance in Singapore plans that fulfil all the mandatory criteria of MOM.

  1. As an employer, am I obligated to pay treatment costs that are not deemed medically necessary, such as cosmetic treatment?

No. You are not liable for the costs of procedures that aren’t medically necessary for your employee’s health. However, such case must be determined by a Singapore-based doctor.

  1. Where can I buy medical insurance for my FDW?

You can consider buying insurance plans from any of the insurance agencies that MOM has worked with to make available suitable plans. “You may also choose other plans offered by any insurer, so long as it meets the coverage criteria.”  – Says the MOM.

Being one of the biggest Maid Work Permits renewal service provider in Singapore, we provide multiple plans, all eligible to meet the Ministry of Manpower guidelines.

  1. What if an FDW’s employer does not meet the medical insurance requirement?

It is an offence if an employer does not buy the required medical insurance for a foreign domestic worker (FDW) according to the MOM guidelines. If convicted, the employer may face a fine of up to $5,000 or up to 6 months’ imprisonment, or both. In addition, the employer may be barred from employing FDWs.